No.615 Squadron (A Flight): 28 February 1940
Born on 20 September 1915 in Lethbridge (Alberta, Canada), he served in the Canadian Army in the Loyal Edmonton Regiment with the rank of Corporal between 1933 and 1935. He joined the RAF in 1936 with a Short Service Commission. After his training, he joined No.3 (RAF) Squadron where he became Acting Flight Commander in April 1939.
He was transferred to No. 615 (County of Surrey) Squadron, on 28 February 1940.
- Ciel de Gloire : RCAF – Gaunce Lionel Manley : http://www.cieldegloire.com/003_gaunce_l_m.php (Consulté le 19/05/17)
- CULL, Brian ; LANDER, Bruce ; WEISS, Heinrich. Twelve Days in May. London : Grub Street, 1999. p. 293.
- The Battle of London Monument, F/Lt. L M Gaunce : http://www.bbm.org.uk/airmen/Gaunce.htm (Consulté le 19/05/17)
- Aces of World War 2, Lionel Manley « Elmer » Gaunce : http://acesofww2.com/can/aces/gaunce.htm (Consulté le 19/05/17)
- The London Gazette, 23 January 1940 : https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34778/supplement/464 (Consulté le 19/05/17)
- The London Gazette, 27 September 1940 : https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/34954/page/5715 (Consulté le 19/05/17)
- The London Gazette, 9 September 1941 : https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/35270/page/5223 (Consulté le 19/05/17)