13 december 1939 : Transfer to Vitry-en-Artois

After obtaining the authorization the day before, No. 607 (County of Durham) and No.615 (County of Surrey) Squadron left Merville, where the condition of the runway was considered deplorable. The transfer is made on 13 December 1939 in the morning, despite bad weather, and all aircrafts are considered operational as early as the afternoon. The pilots are then accommodated at the appropriately named Café de la Grande-Bretagne, while the rest of the staff is housed on the airfield under conditions judged to be much better than at Merville.

Leave a Reply